Welcome to the San Juan Singers website!
A Winter Concert, December 8 (7:30pm) & 9 (2:00pm) is Now in the Making
We are now in rehearsals for our Winter Concert. Registration is open until October 3. After that, you’ll have to wait until January 2019 to join us for Spring Concert rehearsals.
We have an exciting line up of music for this concert: John Rutter’s “Magnificat,” a joyful, upbeat setting of this beautiful text. This work was recently voted “our favorite choral masterpiece,” by the Singers. It is accompanied by a chamber orchestra of island players, including timpani, woodwinds, harp, strings, and organ. Other pieces to be performed are:
- “Eatnemen Vuelie,” a blending of Sami chant and hymn celebrating the earth and featured in the animated film, “Frozen.” This song also features our chamber orchestra players;
- “Believe,” from the film based on the book “The Polar Express,” “There is a Santa Claus,” from the Broadway show and movie, “Elf”;
- “Brightest and Best,” a vibrant new setting of a traditional Christmas shaped-note song, accompanied by string bass and fiddle;
- “Ecce Novum,” by composer Ola Gjielo, accompanied by a string quartet,
- “Come and See the Baby,” a new Christmas spiritual by Ruth Morris Gray;
- “Goin’ to Bethlehem,” a Christmas spiritual arranged by Jay Althouse, featuring the tenors, basses, and baritones of the chorus;
- “See, Amid the Winter Snow,” a beautiful setting accompanied by string quartet;
- “Celtic Silent Night,” which has become San Juan Island’s favorite setting of the Christmas carol.
CALENDAR IS UPDATED ONLINE (including sections rehearsals for the winter concert) THRU APRIL 2019
Winter Concert: December 8 & 9, 2018
Spring Concert: April 12 & 13, 2019